This makes a lot. Serve it with some crusty French bread or as an accompaniment to meat. It is also great in omelets, crepes or pasta! It also freezes well.
3 red bell peppers
3 yellow bell peppers
4 green zucchini
4 yellow summer squash
4-5 cloves of garlic
6 oz. can tomato paste
herbs such as basil, thyme, marjoram
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Oil the bell peppers and 2 eggplants. Place on sheet pan and roast for 45-60 minutes. After roasting, place bell peppers in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. You can leave the eggplant on the sheet pan.
- While the eggplants and bell peppers are roasting, halve the onions and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Chop the garlic to a paste. Heat a saute pan over medium-low heat and saute onions with butter and olive oil until caramelized and golden brown, about 25 minutes. I like to add the garlic to the onions but you can add it any stage.
- Meanwhile, quarter the zucchini and squash lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch pieces. Saute the zucchini, squash, and eggplant separately.
- By now, the bell peppers and eggplant should be cool enough to handle. Peel the skin away from the bell peppers, removing the core and seeds. Reserve the juice. Julienne. For the eggplant, simply remove the innards from the skin, trying to not get any seeds. There should also be juice from the eggplant. Reserve this juice as well.
- Add the eggplant meat (minus the seeds), julienne bell peppers, caramelized onions and reserved juices to large pot. Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, allowing flavors to meld. Then add the sauteed zucchini, squash and eggplant. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add the 6 0z can of tomato paste, herbs if you have them and saute briefly, about 5 minutes. Yum!