Monday, March 30, 2009

First Blog and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Welcome to my first blog. I love cooking, food, bicycling, going to the beach and dogs. I will try and post my favorite recipes along with the dinners and BBQs that we cook at 57th St.

Today I ate a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. Grilled cheese may be a simple food from our childhood but it definitely can be made adult with a few tweaks. For instance a nice quality cheese can really perk up the sandwich, as well as a swipe of Dijon mustard.

This is my favorite way to make a grilled cheese. You will need a cast iron skillet and a cast iron bacon press. You can use a smaller pan that fits inside the cast iron, or omit the second pan all together. Pressing the sandwich creates a great crust though and melts the cheese from both sides.

2 slices of sandwich bread (I like Trader Joe's Cheddar and Garlic Sourdough)
your favorite cheese, shredded - today I used Comte, which is a cave aged Gruyere from France
Dijon Mustard
room temperature butter

1. Heat the pan and bacon press on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Placing the buttered side down and plain side facing you, spread the Dijon mustard on each plain side. Place the shredded cheese on top of the slice. Top with remaining bread slice.
3. Place sandwich in skillet and cook, flipping once with a metal spatula until golden brown and crusty.

I also like to add leftover meat or caramelized onions if I have them. The great thing is you can add just about anything!

What are your favorite kinds of grilled cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin