Monday, May 11, 2009

I want Pizza!

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Pizza Song
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor

Sorry I just had to include that! Anyways, I made pizza for dinner last night. I made my own pizza dough at home for the first time. I've made pizza dough plenty of times (every work shift at MM) but never at home. I couldn't remember the recipe from work so I adapted the recipe from my Culinary 1 class. Chef B's recipe called for fresh yeast which is very difficult to find for home use. I substituted dry active yeast but I wasn't sure how much to use. I did some rough estimates and I came out with a nice dough. I still would like to tweak the recipe because I love the pizza dough at MM!


On the left: pepperoni, jalapeno, pineapple, onions
On the right: salami, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions


TBC's Homemade Pizza Dough
makes 2 12-inch pizzas

14 oz. all-purpose flour or bread flour
1 packet of Fleishmann's Active Dry Yeast
1 TBSP sugar
2 TSP salt
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 oz warm water (110˚F-120˚F)
corn meal or flour for dusting

In a stand mixer, with the dough hook attachment, place flour in bowl. On one side put sugar and yeast. On opposite side, place salt. Add water and oil. Mix for 10-13 minutes. Dough should form a ball on the hook and feel smooth and slightly tacky to touch. Add more flour if dough is too sticky and doesn't form a ball.

Form dough into ball and place in a sprayed bowl and cover it. Put somewhere warm. When dough has doubled in size, portion dough. For a half sheet pan, like in the picture, I do 1 pound. For individual pizzas, I make them 4 oz. each. After portion-ing your dough, form it into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Again place it somewhere warm. When dough has doubled again, it is now time to roll it. Sprinkle the corn meal or flour on your work surface. Using a rolling pin (I actually used a wine bottle), roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Place the rolled pizza dough on a pizza pan or baking sheet lightly dusted with corn meal or flour. Put the sauce and your toppings on and bake in a 500˚F oven. The size of your pizza will determine cooking. The pizzas I cooked in the pictures took 17 minutes. Individual pizzas will probably take about 7-10 minutes. Then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin